Applying for U.S. Citizenship? Hire an Attorney Who Understands Immigration Law in Cincinnati OH

by | Jul 10, 2014 | Lawyers

Green card holders who want to become naturalized United States citizens must go through a rigorous application process. The steps that you must take to earn U.S. citizenship are often confusing to people who are not familiar with the bureaucracy of our government. Whether you need help filling out the initial applications or preparing for the interview, an attorney who focuses on Immigration Law in Cincinnati OH may be able to help you through the process. Immigration lawyers understand the requirements for naturalization and can often help a client study the questions on the civics test to ensure they pass that portion of the interview.

An attorney may also be able to help you if your application for citizenship was denied. Contact a lawyer right away if this happens to you so your attorney can file an appeal on your behalf. Many people who are not prepared for their interview with the immigration officer get an initial denial. Don’t be discouraged. You have the right to an appeal and if your appeal is also denied, you may be able to resubmit your application to have it reconsidered.

Some people who dream of converting their permanent resident status into U.S. citizenship think it isn’t possible if they have been arrested during their time in the United States. If you were arrested or even convicted of a crime and want to become a citizen, it is important to talk to an attorney who understands Immigration Law in Cincinnati OH. Your attorney can review your situation and help you present your case to the immigration officer so you have the best chance of getting your application approved.

The length of time you need to be in the country before filing your application varies based on your status. For example, if you are married to a U.S. citizen, you only need to be a permanent resident for three years. Permanent residents who are not married to citizens of the United States must live in the country continuously for five years prior to being eligible for citizenship. You can get the answers to your questions and assistance with filing your paperwork when you hire a naturalization attorney like Bell Law Office, LLC.

Similar Posts