Child Support and Emancipation in Sullivan Indiana

by | May 3, 2014 | Attorney

Parents who are court-ordered to pay child support must do so until their child is emancipated. The law requires parents to financially support their children until one of the following events occurs:

  • The child joins the United States military
  • The child gets married
  • The child is either supporting themselves or is being completely financial supported by someone other than the parents
  • The child turns 19 years old
  • The child is 18 years old and not enrolled in school

It is often up to the paying parent to inform the child support enforcement agency of the event that led to emancipation in Sullivan Indiana so the child support order can be terminated. Without notification, the court may continue to collect child support and forward it to the other parent.

You can file a petition to terminate your child support whether or not the other parent is in agreement that the child is emancipated. A lawyer can help you file the necessary documents with the court to get your case in front of a judge.

If the other parent is contesting your request to terminate child support, you will need to provide evidence to the court to prove emancipation in Sullivan Indiana. Your attorney can advise you of which documents you’ll need to provide to the court to show the judge that your child is actually support his or herself and not in need of your financial support. Your child’s other parent may also be present at court and bring their own evidence to persuade the judge that they have a continued need for support.

Throughout the process, your attorney will advocate for your rights as a parent of an emancipated child. If your child is supporting his or herself, the other parent is not entitled to receive financial support from you. Your lawyer will work to convince the courts that your child support order should be terminated.

Feavel Law Office handles many different family court matters, including custody and child support. When you need a lawyer to help you terminate your child support, you need an experience advocate who will fight for your rights.

Similar Posts