Divorce is not a pleasant experience, as anyone who has been through it knows all too well. Usually, people’s lives are in chaos, especially if there are children involved. The usual route to a divorce is for each party’s Divorce Attorney in Paradise CA to fight it out in court over division of assets, child custody, visitation and anything else someone is upset about. The nastier the battle, the more expensive it is likely to be. If the couple had no children, they may leave the courthouse and never see each other again. However, if they are parents, the marital relationship may be dead, but the parenting relationship must survive – and thrive – for the sake of the children. The parenting relationship is for a lifetime.
Many couples, both parents and non-parents, have found that mediation is a better solution than a traditional adversarial divorce.
1. Divorce mediation is non-adversarial and voluntary. Specially trained mediators will guide the couple through the divorce in a neutral, non-threatening environment.
2. Both parties must agree to be involved in the mediation and to work to resolve disagreements.
3. The couple negotiate agreements which are in the best interest of everyone, especially children. Every family has unique needs which they know best how to handle. In an adversarial court divorce, the court will rule on unresolved issues.
4. The primary focus is on the best interests of the children, but will also resolve issues of child and/or spousal support, division of assets and division of debt.
5. Mediation is less stressful and certainly less costly than going to court.
6. If couples began their divorce in the traditional, adversarial manner and then decide that mediation would work better for them, they can switch to mediation at any time. Each spouse will need to notify their Divorce Attorney in Paradise CA that they wish to discontinue the adversarial process.
7. The Marital Settlement Agreement will spell out all of the agreements. Once this document has been signed by all parties, it will be filed with the court, along with other necessary forms. This will result in a full, legal divorce.
Brooks and Brooks Attorneys at Law will gladly explain more about divorce mediation to anyone seeking an experienced Divorce Attorney in Paradise CA. The lawyers offer free 30-minute consultations to discuss various legal options. Visit their website for more information and to schedule a meeting. Visit Brooksfamilylaw.com for more details.