In Hillsborough County and Tampa, there were 29,037 motor vehicle accidents in 2018. There were 20,114 injuries and 179 fatalities. Those accidents resulted in thousandss of personal injury claims and lawsuits. Some resulted in wrongful death lawsuits too.
Common Causes of Tampa Lawsuits
- Just about all motor vehicle accidents in and around Tampa are preventable. Like everywhere else in Florida, here are some of their common causes:
- Distracted driving like talking on a cell phone or texting while driving.
- Speeding and driving too fast for traffic or weather conditions.
- Disobeying traffic signals or stop signs.
- Following a vehicle ahead too closely.
- Driving under the influence of alcohool, drugs or a combination of the two.
Claims and lawsuits
Many of the subject accidents have resulted in personal injury claims that are brought directly with insurance companies. Others might result in a car accident lawsuit in Tampa, FL, that is brought in the Hillsborough County Circuit Court.
The Statute of Limitations
A statute of limitations in personal injury law is a deadline for filing a lawsuit. Florida allows four years from the date of an auto accident to file any such case. Failure to file within those four years is likely to result in dismissal of the case, so don’t sit on your rights.
Important evidence can disappear, witnesses can vanish into thin air and recollections of events from four years past can get fuzzy. You can protect your right to seek compensation for your injuries and damages suffered in a car accident by filing a car accident lawsuit in Tampa, FL, as soon as possible. After being the victim of an auto accident anywhere in Hillsborough County, feel free to contact us and speak with a Tampa car accident attorney about your accident, injuries and the statute of limitations.